I finished creating my first WordPress theme. It’s calls Chops 2.0 (version 1.0 was scratched before it was finalized). I made the theme exclusively for justinchoponis.com.
Several resources were instrumental in its creation, including the following:
- So you want to create WordPress themes huh? – A blog article with a very thorough tutorial on creating WordPress themes.
- Installing WordPress Locally Under Windows XP – This tutorial on creating a local web server with WordPress worked fine on my Windows 7 64bit installation.
- Notepad++ – A tabbed text editor with features such as syntax highlighting.
- XAMPP Lite – Software to run a local web server.
- W3Schools.com – Great free tutorials on XHTML and CSS.
The overall process was not very difficult given my previous experience with XHTML and CSS. I found that it was easier to mock up a site design in Photoshop and then create a static version of the site than it was to start building the theme using PHP and XHTML from scratch.