I contributed a chapter to the book Black Magic Solutions for White Hat SharePoint which is now available on Amazon. The book was organized by Mark Miller and includes chapters from several SharePoint community members. Mark’s goal was to break away from the traditional publishing model and self-publish an ebook in just a few months. You […]
I’ve been doing a lot of work with SPServices and SharePoint lists lately, and I find myself using the same CAML queries over and over. Unfortunately I don’t always remember how to format some of the more common queries, so I decided to make a quick reference. There are already some good tools and resources out […]
As part of a website redesign communication campaign, I was tasked with developing a web-based crossword puzzle for our intranet site (MOSS 2007). After some brainstorming I came up with a solution that seems to be effective and relatively easy to set up using a custom list to store the answers, some jQuery to enhance the interactivity of the crossword, and SPServices to submit the answers to the list. Check out a demo page of the crossword (it won’t actually submit because it’s just a standalone HTML page and it isn’t on a SharePoint server). (more…)
A while back I was writing a function using SPServices that would delete a document from a SharePoint library when a user clicked a button. I set up the SPServices function the same way I’d done for other lists, but it wasn’t working. Turns out for documents (as opposed to list items) you must include the
FileRef field when selecting what to delete. It took me a while to figure this out because the
ID is the only field needed to delete list items.
Here’s an example function that will delete a file from a SharePoint library using jQuery 1.7.1 and SPServices 0.7.1a. You’ll need to call the function by passing in the
FileRef, and the name of the library. Notice the
batchCmd variable includes both the
This is my first “year in review” style blog post. I feel that this year was particularly eventful for me in terms of my web designer/developer career and my personal life, and I thought it’d be a good idea to reflect on those events and capture it here for myself and any interested readers. (more…)
In the first entry to this series, I demonstrated how you can use a data view web part (DVWP) to emit SharePoint® calendar events as JSON that the FullCalendar jQuery plugin can use. Although it works fairly well, there are some limitations to the solution. It doesn’t handle recurring events, it doesn’t retrieve all events, it doesn’t support pagination/bookmarking, and it doesn’t provide a way to connect the calendar to Outlook® or create alerts.
This post will overcome the first two limitations by borrowing most of the code posted in this discussion thread on CodePlex and doing away with the DVWP altogether. Jim Bob Howard provided a lot of great information, but it’s broken up over several replies and is a bit difficult to follow. I also wanted to expand on the functionality of his solution by displaying events in the local time zone instead of the web server’s time zone and optimizing the web service calls by retrieving as few events at a time as possible instead of getting a month’s worth of events at a time.