With that goal in mind, I started reworking my code to make it more reusable. Instead of hard-coding everything, I wanted to create a GUI that would let me specify things like which list to act upon and what items to manipulate. I also thought this would be a great project to get my feet wet with Twitter Bootstrap.
The end result is SPTools:
The tools are somewhat limited in capability at this point; I’ve only developed what I’ve needed to use so far. Over time I plan on expanding the options for the existing tools and adding new tools based on user feedback. Some of the current highlights include:
- Approve list items that require content approval
- Duplicate list items into another list and remap columns to new column names if desired
- Check in files
- Start a workflow for list/library items
- Get a random item from a list/library and display a link to it on the page (I used this recently to randomly select winners from a crossword puzzle contest)
To try it out, download the zip file from GitHub, unzip the files, then upload them into any SharePoint document library. Open the
index.html file to get started (the readme has some basic instructions on using SPTools).
SPTools is still in a very “alpha” state, but I’ve been sitting on this for months and didn’t want to wait any longer to release it to the public. I’d really like for people familiar with writing their own SPServices functions to test this out and provide feedback, submit patches, suggest new tools, or contribute in any way you can. It’s hosted on GitHub (sorry CodePlex users), so you can submit issues or pull requests if you have an account. Otherwise feel free to leave your feedback in the comments below!